Why cursive is important in 2020

I noticed a lot of schools stopped teaching it and I could not figure out why. You are required to know how to write in cursive to not only sign your own name on contracts but other important documents throughout your life. There us benefits to learning it and using it beyond that...

“Cursive writing, compared to printing, is even more beneficial because the movement tasks are more demanding, the letters are less stereotypical, and the visual recognition requirements create a broader repertoire of letter representation.” - Neurologist, William Klemm

Kids still need to learn it and practice it. Even thought typing is a huge thing these days, writing by hand, especially in cursive will never be an outdated practice.

May 31, 2020 3:27 AM

I didn't know there was a benefit for the brain in learning and using cursive but I guess that makes sense. I never understood why they stopped teaching it. It just seems like something so basic that all kids should know.

June 15, 2020 6:02 PM

You have to be able to write your name to sign documents. Knowing this, the idea that they thought it would be good to remove it all together is just silly. Why should this be put on the parents? I was happy my son had already learned it before it was removed from our district.

June 15, 2020 6:57 PM

They dropped it and brought it back in our local schools. I think it was skipped for 3 years but they ended up having to teach older students as a result.

June 20, 2020 9:20 PM

I never understood the logic of removing it from learning. It seems like such a basic thing. I know that a lot of communication is done on keyboards and online but you still need to be able to write and sign your name.

June 23, 2020 7:03 PM

I remember struggling to learn it. Maybe more and more kids struggled so they did away with it? But you can't just expect parents to have the time to teach them either. I know I do personally but most don't.

June 23, 2020 7:11 PM